The MountainWest FluteFest is an annual summer music festival for flute students who have completed kindergarten through graduated seniors. We celebrate all levels of musicianship and aim to help students learn and grow from where they are.
Students participate in classes over three days that teach flute skills, musicianship, and performance technique. All students are also assigned to participate in one of our flute choirs. Classes are taught by a variety of professional flutists and teachers from across the state.
MountainWest FluteFest Timeline and Location
Festival Dates: June 23-25, 2022
Application Deadline: May 21, 2022
Late Applications: Accepted through the first day of classes. Students applying after the application deadline are not guaranteed spots in the flute choir, and performer slots will not be reserved for late applicants.
Acceptance letters for on time applications: June 1, 2022
Tuition balance is due date: June 15th, 2022
Location: Waterford School, 1480 E 9400 S, Sandy, UT 84093
**Please note, students will attend classes for the grade they just completed before the summer festival**
Grades K-3 (half days) – $60 ($20 paid with the application, $40 paid by June 15th, 2022)
Grades 4-12 (full days) – Participant – $175 ($50 paid with the application, $125 paid by June 15th, 2022)
Grades 4-12 (full days) – Performer – $210 ($75 paid with the application, $135 paid by June 15th, 2022)
**All students must be current members of the UFA on the first day of classes. Memberships may be purchased after June 1, 2022 and go towards the 2022-2023 academic school year.**
How to be Involved:
Students who have completed 4th-12th grade may choose to be involved as either a performer or participant.
- Participants – Participate in all classes, including ensembles.
- Performers – participate in all classes, ensembles, are able to perform in one masterclass and may apply to participate in one of the student recitals
Performers and Participants must submit a 1 minute video of a recent performance or piece they have learned. Participant videos will be used to help make assignments for parts in the Flute Choirs and will not have any bearing on a student’s acceptance to the program as a participant.
Performers hoping to play in a student recital must submit a full recording with accompaniment of the piece they want to perform.
Playing Level Requirements
- K-3rd grade – students must have one year of private flute lesson experience and should be able to comfortably play the following 5 note scale patterns:
- 4th -6th grade – You must be able to play the C Major, F Major and B Flat Major Scales, one octave, quarter notes = 80 on the metronome
- 7th – 9th grade – You must be able to play scales through three flats and three sharps, one octave, quarter notes = 88 on the metronome
- 10th – 12th grade – You must be able to play all major scales, one octave, quarters = 100 on the metronome. You must also be able to play 2 octave scales through two sharps and two flats, quarter note = 80 on the metronome.